Polymer Adhesives Market: Introduction
- Polymer adhesives is a category of adhesives. When a large number of monomeric units combine together, they form a polymeric unit. A polymer adhesive is simply an adhesive that cures or sets in this method, through a chemical reaction that involves small molecules reacting and connecting together.
- For instance, a two-part epoxy adhesive is initially two liquid materials, generally referred to as the resin and the hardener component. On combining and mixing the two liquids, they undergo a chemical reaction. This reaction involves molecules of the resin side connecting with molecules of the hardener side. As long as molecules of the two sides combine in the correct ratio, they continue to react until a solid polymer substance is produced. The resultant solid substance helps hold the adherents in place, creating an adhesive bond.
Growth of Building & Construction Sector to Drive Global Polymer Adhesives Market
- The building & construction industry has transformed over the last ten years. Rise in urbanization is boosting the demand for residential, commercial, and industrial infrastructure.
- In construction, polymer adhesives are used to prevent passage of fluids and other substances through material surfaces, joints, or openings. They can also prevent passage of air, sound, dust, and insects and act as fire-stopping components.
- Polymer adhesives are typically used to close openings that are too small to be closed by other materials such as concrete, timber, and mortar. They have a wide range of properties such as strength, flexibility, appearance, durability, solubility, and corrosion resistance.
- Polymeric polymer adhesives offer several advantages over silicone polymer adhesives, as they are UV resistant and they have high durability on exposure to fluctuating climatic conditions. This makes polymeric polymer adhesives perfect for use in sealing larger joints between building materials. Polymeric polymer adhesives can later be concealed by painting over with acrylic-based paints. Thus, growth of the building & construction industry is propelling the demand for polymer adhesives.
Type Perspective of Polymer Adhesives Market
- Among types, polyurethane is the dominant segment of the global polymer adhesives market. Polymer adhesives are used primarily in the assembly of printed circuit boards to connect large components such as capacitors, magnetics, heat sinks, and connectors. Their key benefits include flexibility, absorption of stress, vibration damping, and thermal transfer.
- The polyurethane segment is expected to expand at the maximum CAGR during the forecast period. Polyurethane polymer adhesives provide better adhesion and resistance to abrasion than silicone polymer adhesives. They are commonly used in applications such as automotive, construction, marine, and parking deck & sidewalk sealing.
Different Types of Polymer Adhesives
- Stringent regulations imposed by environmental authorities on the use of polymeric adhesives with high VOC (volatile organic compound) content are anticipated to hamper the global market for polymer adhesives during the forecast period
- Hence, manufacturers are taking various strategic initiatives, such as extensive R&D activities, for production of sustainable products
Asia Pacific Expected to Hold a Major Share of Global Polymer Adhesives Market
- Geographically, the global polymer adhesives market can be divided into five regions: North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific is the leading consumer of polymer adhesives, followed by North America and Europe. Asia Pacific is expected to be the major region for polymer adhesives market in the near future also, due to rise in the demand from building & construction and automotive Industries in the region.
- Countries such as China and India are also taking initiatives to prompt major automotive manufacturers to manufacture polymer adhesives
- The polymer adhesives market in Europe is led by Germany, France, and the U.K. The market in the region is primarily driven by increasing demand from automobile and electronics industries in Europe.
Is something restraining your company’s growth in the Polymer Adhesives Market? Ask for the report brochure here
Key Players Operating in Global Polymer Adhesives Market
The global polymer adhesives market is fragmented, with market players focusing on integrating advanced technologies to gain higher market share. Companies are offering an entire range of products and are focusing on different business strategies to strengthen their market position.
Key players operating in the global polymer adhesives market include:
- Wacker Chemie AG
- Mallard Creek Polymers
- New Polyurethane Technologies (NPT)
- Bostik Australia Pty Ltd
- Sika AG
- H.B. Fuller
- Illinois Tool Works
- Huntsman Corporation